International Car Insurance for Expats

Since 1947, Clements has been dedicated to delivering superior international car insurance to expatriate individuals, worldwide.

Car insurance should include two elements: physical damage to compensate for costs for damage to the vehicle and liability insurance for any damages and claims as a result of bodily injury and/or property damage to others as a result of use of the vehicle. 

Clements offer Physical Damage insurance including damage arising from Political Violence and supplemental Excess Liability insurance globally.

Generally, expatriates must purchase third party liability in the local country per local legal requirements.  Due to the low coverage of these required policies, it is recommended that expatriates purchase additional global excess liability insurance. 

Clements Worldwide vehicle insurance claims are handled in-house with a commitment to quick and efficient processing and outstanding customer care.   Additionally, claims are paid in USD or other major currencies.

Click Now For A Quote

  • Benefits & Features
  • Coverage Chart
  • FAQ
  • Resources
  • Claims Process

Clements international car insurance is underwritten by certain underwriters at Lloyd's of London.*

Physical Damage: Clements’ Physical Damage policy protects against collision, theft and damage, even political violence.  A Physical Damage Policy includes the following features and benefits:

  • Protection Against Collision, Theft, & Damage
  • Political Violence Coverage: Damage to your car resulting from riots, strikes, terrorism and other perils are covered through Clements’ exclusive Political Violence insurance extension.
  • Accident Forgiveness: Your rate stays the same even after your first accident.
  • Home Country Rental Car Insurance Expense Reimbursement: All auto policies that include Physical Damage coverage will cover the cost of rental car insurance for $12/day up to 21 days per policy period when renting a car in the US, Canada or your home country. This does not have to be consecutive.
  • Covers Towing and Labor Reimbursement: up to USD 100 per disablement, up to $300 per policy term
  • Windshield Replacements Included
  • Transit Coverage: all risk from departure to arrival available for government clients only
  • Optional Coverage For Duty Expenses

We now offer Physical Damage for motorcycles.

Excess Liability: With this policy, licensed drivers are covered for liability resulting from bodily injury and/or property damage to others that is beyond the coverage provided by a Third Party Liability Policy.  Most countries require a Third Party Liability Policy to be issued by a local insurance carrier and these policies often do not provide an adequate level of coverage for expats. Therefore, in the case of an accident where there is liability exposure, basic local currency coverage most likely will be insufficient to settle all claims. 

To eliminate such a potential gap in coverage, Clements’ supplemental Excess Liability insurance is an ideal solution for true peace of mind.  Clements provides a choice of coverage limits: USD 500,000 or 1,000,0000 in additional coverage, anywhere in the world.

Additional information on Clements Worldwide Auto Policies is included in the FAQs. 

*Additional Terms & Conditions: 1. A deductible applies. 2. A standard war exclusion applies. 3. Coverage is excluded while the automobile is in Canada, Iran, and North Korea.

Click Now For A Quote


Policy Deductible

$100 (Select Policies), $250, $500, $1,000, $1,500, $2,500

Political Violence  Coverage                                                  

Policy includes protection against: Riots, Strikes, Acts of  Terrorism, Sabotage, Malicious Damage, Insurrection,  Revolution, Rebellion, War and/or Civil War

Rental Reimbursement

$30/day; max 10 days

Home Country Rental Insurance  Reimbursement

$12/day; max 21 days (Available in your home country including U.S. and Canada)

Towing & Labor

$100 per disablement, $300 per policy period 

Medical Payments

$2,000 per person in your vehicle, per accident

 Accidental Death &  Dismemberment

$15,000 per person; $45,000 per accident

Transit Coverage

All-risk, from departure to arrival included (available for government employees only)

Territory Exclusions                 

(see policy documents for details)


Coverage excluded when vehicle is within Canada, Iran, North Korea, or the insured home's country


Coverage Options

Two coverage limits are available for an excess liability policy USD500,000 or 1,000,000.

Do I need an excess liability policy?

Most countries including both the U.S. and the U.K. require car owners to purchase compulsory third party liability policy to cover any damage to a person or property made by that vehicle.  U.S. or U.K. policies typically have very high limits above USD 1,000,000.

Other countries may also require a local liability policy but the coverage amounts are very small.  In Mexico, for example, depending on what state you are living the local liability coverage offered by a third party auto liability policy could be as low as USD 5,000 which would not cover costs in a lawsuit.  It is important to determine the limit of your local policy and if it is below USD 500,000 you should think about purchasing the Clements Worldwide Excess Liability Policy.   Also, policies may only pay out in local currency which could be a concern in countries with unstable currencies.

What is a surplus liability policy?

A surplus liability policy is the same as an excess liability policy.  In some countries it is referred to as excess liability and in other countries it is referred to a surplus liability. 

How do I know which coverage to choose?

To protect against costs of damages to your vehicle from collision or theft, most individuals purchase a physical damage policy and may be required to purchase this policy if there is a lien against the vehicle. 

If the vehicle owner hurts others or damages the property of others, including another vehicle, a third party liability policy covers these damages and potential lawsuits.  Many countries require foreigners living and driving in the country to purchase liability protection from local insurance providers.  Because of low limits and the payout in local currency only of this policies, Clements offers an excess liability policy to protect expatriates from lawsuits or expensive medical claims.

Does the policy provide protection if I am in a collision with an uninsured motorist?

Yes, a Clements Worldwide policy compensates for financial losses as a result of the negligence of an uninsured, underinsured, or hit-and-run driver. Coverage would provide payment for any damage, mechanical as well as cosmetic, caused to your vehicle by an uninsured driver.

What is Political Violence coverage? 

Clements car insurance policies automatically include Political Violence, which provides coverage in the event of damage to a vehicle as a result of: Riots, Strikes, Acts of Terrorism, Sabotage, Malicious Damage, Insurrection, Revolution, Rebellion, War and/or Civil War.  Many policies exclude vehicle damages due to these coverages. 

What is Duty coverage?

Duty coverage pays towards duty tax that a foreign government can charge you in the event that your vehicle is totaled in a covered claim. Additionally, duty coverage can also pay for the duty tax to import a replacement vehicle. Coverage options available are 25%, 50% or 100% of the of the insured vehicle’s value for relevant taxes (220% available in Eqypt only).  Duty coverage is an option extra coverage and does not come with your standard physical damage policy.

For example, if your car is severely damaged/ totaled in an accident, to receive your insurance payment may require you to transfer the title to a salvage or wrecking company which essentially is considered a sale of the vehicle.  Foreign governments may charge a tax on that exchange and duty coverage pays a portion or the entire amount of that tax. 

This coverage does not pay for any duty coverage that you may pay to import your vehicle initially to a new country.  It is only applicable in cases where there is an insurance claim for physical damages.    

The tax rate for the duty tax may depend on a number of factors including the make and model of the vehicle and the country of origin for the vehicle. 

It is also important to note that for replacement vehicles, the potential covered amount is based on the totaled vehicle.  This means that if the new vehicle ($50,000 vehicle) costs more than the purchase price of the replaced vehicle ($30,000 vehicle) then the policy will only cover a portion of the tax bill. 

If I have an accident and I need a rental car at my destination, does Clements offer rental car reimbursement with its policies?

Yes, Clements provides car rental reimbursement for up to USD 30 per day for a maximum of 10 days for a covered claim under a Physical Damage policy.  

What are the coverage limits for Excess Liability?  

Clements Worldwide offers two coverage options – USD 500,000 or 1,000,000. 

What is transit coverage?

Transit coverage compensates you for any damage to your vehicle as it is shipped overseas or shipped home.  This policy covers any damages from home port to host country port, but is only available for active duty military or individuals employed by their home government.  

Can other drivers be added to my policy?

Yes, many times drivers can be added without increasing your policy premium.  So please remember if you hire a driver or housekeeper with driving responsibilities, add them to the policy immediately.  Just call 1.202.872.0060 or 1.800.872.0067 and have available their full name, driver’s license number, and date of birth

Do you offer multi-policy discounts?

Yes, Clements Worldwide offers multi-policy discounts with the most popular combination being an auto policy and a property policy.  Call today to find out more at 1.202.872.0060 or 1.800.872.0067.

Can I get a combined auto and property policy?

No – auto and property policies are two distinct policies.  If you want to protect property in your home or apartment from damage, such as computers, cameras, cellphones, jewelry, art, etc, then you need to purchase a property policy.  This will also cover lost electronics, for example cellphones or cameras left on a train or at an airport.  A property policy also provides liability protection if someone is hurt on your property.

An auto policy only covers damage to your vehicle and any liability claims from physical harm to a person or damage to another vehicle or property caused by your vehicle. Liability claims associated with your place of residence will not be covered.    

Does the policy offer worldwide coverage?

Yes, one of the primary features of a Clements Worldwide auto policy is that you have worldwide coverage meaning the vehicle can cross border anywhere and still be covered.  There are only a couple exceptions including North Korea and Iran. 

If I have a claim for a destroyed or totaled vehicle, how is the payout calculated?

Clements Worldwide pays out vehicle claims on a depreciated basis, meaning the vehicle is depreciated about 1% per month from the purchase date and price (some exceptions apply based on make and model of the vehicle).

If your vehicle is less than one year old, you can choose to get claims paid out based on the purchase price by purchasing a guaranteed value extension. 

If I have done upgrades on my vehicle, can I increase the payout price in case of a claim?

Yes, if you have made changes to the vehicle, which add to its value, you can send us the receipts and we can increase the documented purchase price for the vehicle which will affect the amount of any future claim.  

What information do I need to apply for an auto policy?

It is best to gather all the information you need before you sit down to apply for an auto policy.  You will need the following information to apply:

  • Where is vehicle registered
  • Make/ model/ style/ year of the vehicle
  • Purchase date and price
  • Whether the automobile is made to U.S. specifications
  • Mileage
  • Whether automate has an alarm or a disabling device
  • Whether the automobile is kept in a secured location
  • Name and birthdate of all drivers
  • Accidents and moving violations within the past 3 years
  • Whether you have a personal property policy with Clements (for multi policy discounts)
  • Employer name

I am having problems finding my automobile on your website to get a quote for insurance.  What should I do?

Please call us at +1.202.741.1576 or 800.872.0067.  Inputting inaccurate information (including year, make or model) will provide an incorrect quote.  We are happy to help you directly.  You can also email us at