Your customized auto insurance options include all the features required when living in Germany. Clements partnered with partnered with GEICO Financial Services GmbH to make it easy to obtain the right car insurance to meet your needs. Even if you have no prior driving experience in Germany and are a new resident, we can insure you and your vehicle.
All insurance documentation is in English
English-speaking customer service
US, UK, International, EU, and Provisional driver’s licenses accepted
No established residency or driving experience in Germany required
3 coverage choices, allowing you to select the level of cover you need including: Fully Comprehensive, Third Party Fire & Theft, and Local Third Party Only
What is Covered Under Fully Comprehensive Insurance?
Fire & explosion
Theft of vehicle
Short circuit damage to the wiring
Animal Bite – damage to the wiring as a result of animal bite
Loss of vehicle keys due to burglary or robbery
Third Party Liability
Additional Coverage Benefits
Protection against collision, theft, and damage
Repair Cost Insurance available as a coverage add-on
Roadside Assistance available
Breakdown cover automatically included in every policy with 24 hour assistance, 7 days a week
Towing the vehicle after breakdown or accident up to 150 EUR
Car rental when break down occurs, accident, or theft (with accident and theft also under 50 km distance) for a max. of 7 days and up to 350 EUR / outside of Germany up to 500 EUR
You have comprehensive & collision insurance coverage within the geographical borders of Europe as well as the non-European areas that are part of the European Union
Diplomat in Egypt
Diplomat in Japan
Diplomat in Denmark
Is German Car Insurance Expensive?
Car insurance in Germany is typically more expensive than other countries due to a few factors including the cost of repairs, strict liability laws, and Germany’s “no-fault” system, meaning regardless of who is at fault for an accident, the driver is responsible for taking care of injuries and damage to others and their property. This system was designed to quickly resolve problems related to accidents.
There are also individual circumstances that can affect the cost of car insurance in Germany, including:
- Vehicle type. Luxury cars generally have higher insurance costs.
- Driver’s age. Younger drivers may be subject to higher rates.
- Driver’s history. Accidents or traffic violations on a driver’s history may increase rates.
- Coverage level. A driver will pay less for minimum third-party liability coverage but more for higher levels of coverage, such as comprehensive. The trade off is that higher rates associated with comprehensive ensure damage to the policy holder’s vehicle is covered.
- Vehicle location. Urban settings typically have higher insurance rates than rural areas.
- Annual mileage. Rates increase with the amount driven and conversely will go down the less you drive. Some insurers offer an occasional driver discount if the annual mileage does not exceed a certain amount.
FAQ About Car Insurance in Germany
Military, Foreign Service, & Teachers Abroad
Additional Policies for All Your Needs
Worldwide Personal Property Coverage
Homeowners, Renters & Personal Property
Cover your most cherished belongings in-transit and at your destination. Discover why international personal property insurance may make sense for you.
Worldwide Personal Accident Insurance
Get 24-hour protection wherever you are in the world
Find out how international Personal Accident Insurance can provide you with peace of mind.
Still have questions? Fill out the form below and get in contact with a Clements Personal Insurance Advisor today.