How to Get an EU Work Permit    

If you are a current citizen of a European Union member country, you're in luck! You don't need a work permit to find employment in another nation that is part of the EU. However, for many other people looking for gainful work, this crucial document is a must before moving to a new country. 

How to Get an EU Work PermitMany potential expats aren't too sure about how to acquire a work permit, otherwise known as a "Blue Card." Although it might seem like a cumbersome process to obtain a work permit, here are the facts and information that will help you out:

What is the point of an EU work permit?
The goal of the work permit system is to help make EU nations more desirable for expats. With one in hand, you'll be guaranteed fair wages, socio-economic rights, favorable living conditions and other perks, EU Blue Card Network explained. Essentially, you'll be as close to a national as possible without actually becoming a citizen.Before you can apply, however, you must first meet a few requirements. The news source noted that you must be a non-EU national with a higher education qualification. To complicate matters further, you need a work contract or a binding job offer in an EU-member nation first. At the moment, all EU states except the United Kingdom, Denmark and Ireland participate in the work permit system. 

When should I apply for a Blue Card?
Because of the condition that you must have a job in the EU to get a work permit, actually applying for one can be tricky. The best way to avoid any problems is to start the process early, according to the Matador Network. Don't move to Europe without a permit first, so take care of all the paperwork before you leave your home country. In some cases, the company you work for will handle the application. If not, immigration agencies can have the forms, as well as your home consulate. Getting a permit requires filling out a lot of documents, so it is best to start early, without the fear of immigration authorities over your head in your new country. 

How can I get an EU Work Permit if I'm already in Europe?
If you are already in an EU-member nation, you still have options to get a work permit. The Matador Network recommended first registering with local district police within seven days of your arrival. If you have a place to live, have your roommate or landlord write a letter outlining your rental agreement and duration of stay.

Next, open a bank account, the news source explained. Print out a bank statement that shows you have the funds to support yourself in your new home. This can go a long way toward getting a Blue Card.

Bring all of these documents to your nearest labor office, including:

  • Passport
  • Legal documents
  • Diploma
  • Work contract

Officials will then review this information, hopefully approving you for a work permit. Without one, you could be deported, fined or banned from the country. So, don't be afraid of the paperwork. 

Is there anything else I should be aware of?
Unfortunately for expats, the importance of a Blue Card in the EU has opened the door for potential scams. According to, some criminals have targeted people looking for a permit. They offer easy access for a fee, sometimes masquerading as consultants. It is best to follow only the legal channels to acquire this document.

Tax season is complicated enough while living in the states, and it can get even more confusing for expats juggling forms in their host country and back home. As a result, an alarming number of people make mistakes - or forget to file altogether - and that can lead to costly fiscal penalties. It can be hard to balance the demands of the IRS in the U.S. with the legal requirements and regulations of your current place of residence. To help make things go a little bit smoother for you, here are some tips and tricks to get the most out of each tax season.

Tips on Avoiding Mistakes When Filing for Taxes Abroad


Call us today at +1.202.872.0060 or 800.872.0067 or e-mail to discuss your needs.